Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How can I treat what looks like acne on an English Bulldog puppy?

We have a 13 week old English Bulldog. She keeps getting what looks like acne on her face, belly, and back. She now has very large ones on each eye lid and this morning one was bleeding a small amount. I plan on consulting her vet but was curious as to what this could be and if there is something I can do at home to help.How can I treat what looks like acne on an English Bulldog puppy?
Sounds like a staph infection or an allergy to me. If its a staph infection she'll need an antibiotic. I would recommend changing your feed and water pans(if your using plastic or an old kitchen pot with Teflon) Stainless steel is the best. Or she may be allergic to the shampoo you are using on her. I recommend Oatmeal shampoo, it's mild and calming.


Is she itching? (That's probably why she was bleeding) You can get Hydrocortisone spray at wal-mart or local pet supply store for around $5. That will give her some relief until you can get her to see the vet. (If it was my pup I would also give her a bath with an antibacterial shampoo once a day for 5-7 days to heal sores.) Hope that helps.How can I treat what looks like acne on an English Bulldog puppy?
My dog had pimples on her lower stomach, and I found out she had allergies to her food. I changed her food to a more high-quality dog food, and they cleared up. The vet did have to prescribe medication initially. She also has seasonal allergies in the summertime, and she develops a rash and ';pimples'; on her belly. The vet gave me ';Genesis'; to use when I first see them, and they go away. If it gets bad, though, they will need to put her on antibiotics. I hope that it's not allergies because allergies have been such a headache for me, but is a possibility. If there is puss in them, then I think the vet definitely needs to see her.
My dog had something similar, but just her mouth. My docter said it's hard to explain, but if you had to put a name onto it it would be : Mumps. She prescrbied a animal/human medicine that worked perfect for my dog Bella, and its funny because, my dog got sick with that at about 11 or 12 weeks. It's because she didn't get enough milk from her mother, see the vet, they'll help. Good luck!
Wow, sounds really bad. You should get medical attention ASAP.
Considering the locations, I have to suspect environmental allergy. Also, acne on the face is commonly caused by using plastic food bowls. Definitely use stainless steel bowls, and consult the vet about allergy testing.





Diet can also play a big part in allergy problems, although this usually is manifested in the dog chewing on their feet and other parts of their bodies a lot. A good quality food with no corn, wheat, or soy would be a great step up if you're not already using one.

No comments:

Post a Comment